What Is Night Respite?
Night Respite is an overnight respite option for caregivers of persons requiring mild to moderate assistance in their Activities of Daily Living (ADL) or persons living with dementia displaying sundowning behaviour. This service provides caregivers with the opportunity to take time off from night time caregiving duties.
How it Helps Caregivers
Night Respite engages persons in need living with dementia meaningfully providing support for their ADLs.
The service not only enable caregivers to take time off from caregiving duties to catch up on rest or fulfil other commitments. It also support caregivers in managing the sundowning issues of their loved ones.
Download the Night Respite brochure here.
What is Sundowning?
Sundowning is the worsening of behavioural difficulties towards the end of the day. Symptoms include restlessness, agitation, suspicious behaviour, disorientation, visual and auditory hallucinations, and difficulties sleeping at night. This often occurs in the moderate to severe stages of dementia, and may be challenging for caregivers to manage.
When it’s Provided
- Monday to Friday, from 7pm (up to 12 hours duration)
- Transport option with subsidy is available if required
- Government subsidies for Singaporeans and Permanent Residents are available based on means testing
Caregivers applying for this service must be a caregiver of a person needing care at night.
Persons needing night care eligible for admission:
- Diagnosis of dementia by a Singapore Medical Council-registered medical practitioner
- Displaying sundowning behaviour or sleep-wake cycle issues (i.e. sleeping in the day and alert at night) OR
- Clients requiring low-moderate assistance in ADL who are being cared for at home, and not utilising any long-term residential care services.
Persons not suitable for the programme:
- Individuals who are bedbound and who need more than one person’s assistance
- Individuals who are currently in the active stage of infectious or contagious disease
Night Respite Option Providers
2 Woodlands Rise
Tel: 6540 9200
Peacehaven Nursing Home
9 Upper Changi Road North
Tel: 6546 5678
St Joseph’s Home
36 Jurong West St 24
Tel: 6268 0482
For enrolment – If you are eligible, AIC will connect you with the Night Respite option provider. The provider will conduct a pre-admission assessment with you and your loved one to determine your care needs.
Need more help?
Send us your enquiry
Mon – Fri: 8:30 am – 8:30 pm
Sat: 8:30 am – 4.00 pm
Visit the AIC Link branch
nearest to you