Plan Ahead

Having a discussion on future care plans is a delicate but necessary topic to carry out your loved one’s care wishes.

We may take our ability to understand information, use the information to make decisions, and be able to communicate decisions, for granted when we are well. But there may come a time when your loved one no longer has the mental capacity make decisions for themselves, due to health conditions or other circumstances - where they are no longer able to tell you "yes" or "no" to what they want or don't want. A loss of mental capacity can result from health conditions such as dtroke, dementia, coma, or head trauma due to an accident.

While your loved one still has mental capacity, you can start a conversation with them to make arrangements for when they no longer have mental capacity, or when they have passed on.

Advance Care Planning (ACP)
Advance Care Planning is a facilitated process that helps you and your loved ones to plan for future healthcare needs together.

Making decisions about your healthcare is not always just a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’. This process gets harder should your loved one be unable to understand or communicate their choices.

Exploring this topic now means that these choices are no longer left unspoken or unclear.

It will give you the confidence to make clearer choices for them during a difficult time. Find out more about ACP here.
Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA)
A Lasting Power of Attorney gives you legal powers to make decisions for your loved ones when they can no longer do so. This includes decisions on their personal welfare, property, and affairs.

Without an LPA, you will need a court order to administer the wishes and affairs of a loved one, which can be costly and time-consuming. Find out more information on LPA at the Office of the Public Guardian.
Advance Medical Directive (AMD)
In situations when your loved one suffers a grave illness that is incurable and likely to lead to end of life, an Advance Medical Directive makes a legal record that your loved one would not want excessive treatment just to keep them alive.

It can help guide doctors to let your loved one pass on with dignity. Learn more about AMDs here.
Will Planning
A will documents how your loved one would like to distribute their money and possessions (also called their estate) after they have passed on. Upon death, you and your family can apply to the Courts for a Grant of Probate to distribute the estate according to the will. If no will is made, the estate will be distributed according to the Intestate Succession Act or Inheritance Certificate (for Muslims).
Central Provident Fund (CPF) Nomination
Money from CPF does not form part of your loved one’s estate – this protects the fund from creditors and allows it to go directly to your loved one’s beneficiaries. CPF nomination is free of charge. Upon death, the CPF monies may be paid out via cash or cheque.

If no CPF nomination is made, you and your family may apply to the Public Trustee’s Office to distribute the CPF monies, for a fee. Find out more information here.



Call Us

At AIC Hotline
Mon - Fri: 8.30am - 8.30pm
Sat: 8.30am - 4.00pm


Visit Us

Visit the AIC Link branch nearest to you.

Contact Us

Understand your loved ones’ wishes and plan their care preferences in advance.
Plan Ahead
Understand your loved ones’ wishes and plan their care preferences in advance.
Plan Ahead | Agency for Integrated Care Singapore